“There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry, 'Mine!'”
Square Inch Seminars came out of the Stanford InterVarsity Christian Fellowship Graduate Christian Fellowship. Students reflected that the academy didn’t understand them as Christians and churches didn’t understand them as academics. They came up with the idea of short “TED” like talks that would help both the church and the campus understand what it looks like to love God/one another, your campus, your academic discipline and our world (aka known as the Faculty Four Loves).
This printable guide helps you discern and then share about God’s action in your own square inch—whether that be your study, your experience or something you’re interested in!
2. Why did you decide to do it?
3. What is something you’ve learned recently that is exciting/has given you joy?
4. What is something you’ve recently struggled with?
5. What is something you’ve learned about God through your work recently?
6. What are some big questions you have about the connection between God and your work?
7. If you were speaking to a lay person about your profession, what is the one thing you’d like them to know?
8. Who are the people you’ve connected with that have impacted your views on your work?
9. Is there one of the Four Faculty Loves that touches you right now?
10. If the square inch you steward belongs to God, who else would lay hold of it?
Bringing God into It
With whatever is standing out in your mind:
1. Where do you see God in this?
2. What is the truth that you see in this?
3. Is there a Scripture or biblical principle that comes to mind when you think of this incident/thing?
4. Is there anything about your work that conflicts with scripture? (There might be areas in your field that don't line up with Christian principles feel free to explore that and discuss it in your testimony).
5. What would others like to do or say about your square inch in contrast to Jesus?